Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Being Mary

My DH (Disney Husband) and I returned from a 10 day vacation to Walt Disney World a few weeks ago. Still settling into reality! I actually didn't get the Disney Blues this time when we returned but I have a bit of them now. I am just trying not to think of what the next few weeks will bring (beginning another round of IVF) so I'm going through all my pictures from our trip. I'm a bit of a photography nut so I take almost 1000 pics each trip! I think I have a picture from every angle of the Castle!

On our first day of our trip, we always start with dinner at Epcot and we love the UK pavilion! We stepped out of the tea shoppe and almost right into Mary Poppins! I literally gasped and squealed and yelled Mary! There were several girls about my age or a wee bit younger and we all started to follow Mary down the path! We were all giggling and skipping and just have a Jolly Holiday!



I find it interesting that after all these years, going to University and getting a degree in Elementary Education, that I am a nanny. I find this interesting because if you ask me what my two all time favorite movies are, I will tell you Mary Poppins and Sound of Music. Now it could be because I am a Julie Andrews fan. But I think it goes deeper then that. There is something about giving yourself to a child. In the class room, this is limited due to the size of the classroom and all the expectations put on a teacher these days. You spend most of your day teaching to the standardize tests or trying to get through the unreasonable expectations put on our teachers. But as a nanny, you become part of the family. You are there for every exciting new discovery and every boo boo and every temper tantrum. There is something magical about being able to be a part of a child's life in this way. It is heart breaking when you leave one family and go to another. I feel what Mary does as she leaves Jane and Michael.

About 6 months ago, I said goodbye to one of my families who moved away. I shed tears that day that were so deep that it felt like my heart was breaking. And in a way, it was. I met TH when he was 6 weeks old and was with him until he was 1 1/2 years old. I was there through every milestone in his life. TH is about to turn 2 years old. And I am not going to be there for this milestone and I feel my heart breaking all over again.  I don't just miss TH. I miss his parents too. There is a bond with them that goes beyond my being their nanny or being friends. We have become a family. I won't be there in person for this milestone, but I will be there in spirit. Happy Birthday TH! I love you little man.


No comments:

Post a Comment